Tuesday, May 19, 2020

INDUSTRIAL DEVELOPMENT - 4 - ROSBORO LUMBER - 3

Continuing my development of Rosboro Lumber in Springfield, I turned to two structure complexes geographically west of the main loading sheds.  Along the tracks, the first of these features multiple roof peaks.  Looking at the satellite view, I see the distinct shape of a mill building surrounded by the multi-peak shed along the tracks and other sheds around it.  Further west is a pair of bow-roof structures. 


Rosboro Lumber looking geographic west from the large loading sheds.  A multi-peaked roof warehouse or loading shed is in the center while a pair of bow-roofed structures loom in the background, further along the track.

Both of these structure complexes on the western side of the Rosboro Lumber facility lend themselves to simple modeling with foam-core construction overlaid by printed cardstock texture.  My previous post on the large bow-roof loading shed describes my construction technique.  That post also contains a link to the first post of this series. https://espeecascades.blogspot.com/2020/04/industrial-development-4-rosboro-lumber_30.html  

The multi-peaked roof structure needed to fit within the start of the curve that forms the turn-back loop at the end of my Springfield peninsula.  Although the curvature was not great where I needed to place this structure, it still presented a challenge.  I needed to break the front wall along the track mid-way to take up a slightly different face angle.  That posed the challenge of what to do with the roof peaks and valleys.  After experimenting with a couple of layouts, I selected keeping the roof peaks and valleys parallel and adjusting for the two different face angles by trimming the roof ends appropriately.


Laying out the multi-peak roof structure and mill building.  At this point, I have the trackside multi-peak structure laid out and the main mill building behind it.  A side shed is plotted on the geographic east end facing the main loading sheds.  The satellite view was a big help in laying out this complex.


Mocking up and test fitting the main structure walls for the multi-peak roof structure and main mill building.


Laminating the siding to the multi-peak roof building.  End vents were cut into the siding near two of the roof peaks, per my prototype photos. 

As I built up this warehouse and mill complex, I recognized I needed to add more structures around the mill.  Lacking photo coverage on that side of the structure, I had to "guestimate" what they might look like, inspired by the satellite view.


Additional structures surround the central mill building.  The pair of bow-roof structures loom in the background.

The pair of bow-roofed sheds were built the same as my first such shed, although their interiors could be much simpler.  I had very little photo coverage of these sheds, so I took a simple approach to build them fully enclosed.  I did leave the main mill-side doors open on the ends, though.  Although my prototype photos indicate an additional bowing of the roof toward one end, as well as side to side, I chose to keep my models simple with the single main arch of the roof.


Rosboro Lumber looking geographic east.  The bow-roof sheds are in the foreground, followed by the multi-peaked structure and mill building and then the large loading sheds around the curve on my layout.


Multi-peaked roof structure along the main loading spur for Rosboro Lumber Co.

I have lots of detail to add to these structures, but for now the space is filling in nicely.  This end of the Springfield area is no longer bare plywood!

1 comment: