Saturday, January 30, 2016

HOUSE MAINTENANCE PAUSE


My title for this post should strike fear and recognition in the minds of some of my readers.  Others will at least recognize the theoretical possibility of a necessary diversion of effort. 

Shortly after the January 2, operating session, we noted a stain on the ceiling above my Oakridge engine terminal in an area where we had noted bowing of baseboards on the main floor above.  The signs were unmistakable, though not expected for a relatively new house (four years old).  Investigation led to a call to a national removal and remediation contractor plus starting an insurance claim.

It is sufficient for this blog to report we have spent the past three weeks with the constant drone of equipment—24/7, as the saying goes.  Areas of the railroad directly under the affected spots have been covered with screwed-down hardboard.  This will not be removed until the reconstruction is complete.  Only then will I discover whether any damage occurred on the layout.  I expect a significant inspection and potential repair effort.


Fans blowing into the ceiling above the Oakridge engine terminal (covered by hardboard).

Suffice to say, my attention has been on the “thick ceiling” above the railroad.  Further, the basement and much of the house has been inhabitable due to heat and noise for most of January.  I am attempting to work on some of my long-deferred projects, but the noise has had an impact on my motivation.

2 comments:

  1. Urgh... hope you get past this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. serious bummer. I was out of town when this was posted and am just catching up on my blogs.

    ReplyDelete