Sunday, November 23, 2014

CRESCENT LAKE TRACK LAID


Building and suspending the roadbed panels for Crescent Lake was a major milestone. (http://espeecascades.blogspot.com/2014/10/crescent-lake-in-suspense.html )  The next tasks were to install roadbed connecting Crescent Lake to Cascade Summit and installing track at Crescent Lake.

I had a gap of about twelve feet between Cascade Summit and Crescent Lake.  This gap was along the wall, so I installed basic wall brackets, similar to my previous efforts at the other end of Cascade summit.  (http://espeecascades.blogspot.com/2014/09/track-into-mccredie-springs.html )  I chose to mount Crescent Lake a little higher than Cascade Summit.  This provided a bit more headroom in an area that will need additional lighting and will see a fair bit of operator foot traffic below portions of it.  This meant I needed a slight grade between the two stations.  I installed wall brackets at the ending heights for each end and then spanned the entire distance with a pair of 1x4 boards on edge for a straight edge.  With this, I was able to set the risers for the roadbed on the rest of the brackets.


Setting the roadbed grade between Cascade summit and Crescent Lake.


Cascade Summit to Crescent Lake roadbed installed with trim board temporarily mounted.  The trim board will be removed to provide easier access for switch machine installation and wiring.

With most of the track for Crescent Lake previously formed, installation was relatively straight-forward.  I had to take a break from that work for a literal break—I broke my left little toe one evening after a full day of track work.  Fortunately, that was just before the “vacation” break for the SPH&TS Meet in San Luis Obispo (http://espeecascades.blogspot.com/2014/11/sph-2014-san-luis-obispo.html ), so I felt little “guilt” about not being able to work on the layout. 

Now, with healing well underway, I could return to my step ladders to complete the track installation.  All twelve staging tracks plus a utility spur are in place as well as the connection to Cascade Summit.


Mainline, reverse loop throat and “right” switch ladder in place at Crescent Lake.


“Left” switch ladder in place at Crescent Lake.


West Cascade Summit—now connected to Crescent Lake.

2 comments:

  1. Super-Duper blog! I am loving it!! Will be back later to read some more. I am taking your feeds also.
    decking handrail height

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you mind if I quote a couple of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site? My website is in the exact same niche as yours and my users would really benefit from some of the information you provide here. Please let me know if this alright with you. Thanks!
    stairwell platform system

    ReplyDelete